Jessie’s Fund supports children with disabilities through the therapeutic use of music. This can be music therapy or creative music projects – activities in which the children themselves are participating and finding expression through music. Because of the pressure on our limited funds, our priority is to help children with more complex needs or life-limiting conditions. Please note that we will not be able to consider or acknowledge applications which are not connected to musical activity.
Jessie’s Fund is not a large charity and very rarely gives grants for more than £6,000. The majority of our larger grants to organisations tend to be between £2,000 and £4,000. Grants to individuals are usually no more than £500.
We prefer applications to be submitted by downloading a form and posting it to Jessie’s Fund, 15 Priory Street, York YO1 6ET. Any relevant additional information is welcomed. Alternatively, applications can be sent by email to email@example.com.
We will next consider grant applications from organisations in February 2014: applications should be submitted by 17th January 2014. Applicants will be contacted by March 2014 whether or not their application is successful.
Applications for grants for individuals are considered at the end of each month.
- We accept applications for work with individual children or from organisations.
- We support work with children and young people up to the age of 19 who have significant disabilities or long-term illness.
- We prioritise those who are not able to communicate verbally.
- First applications also receive priority, though in some circumstances we may be able to offer a repeat grant.
- All applications must be for participatory musical activities, whether for music therapy or creative music-making.
- Applications for help for individuals should be accompanied by a supporting letter from a healthcare professional where possible. These applications are usually considered at the end of each month.
- We prefer applications from organisations to demonstrate that they are raising funds from other sources in addition to applying to Jessie’s Fund.
- We can accept applications for help in purchasing musical instruments only where these will be used in an organisation.
- We prefer organisations to demonstrate that there is commitment to continue projects beyond any potential funding from Jessie’s Fund.
- Where possible we ask organisations to include their most recent annual report and accounts.
- Please be clear about the amount you are applying for and about any other potential sources of funding for your project.
- We are unlikely to consider applications from organisations which have received a grant from us within the previous two years.
- We are unlikely to help large organisations which run their own fundraising departments. The exception to this is children’s hospices which are establishing a post for a music therapist.
Visit our dedicated page to download an application form.